Serves 3 - 4
You will need
200g good quality mincemeat or vegetarian mincemeat
50g fresh cranberries
½ cooking apple
25g flaked almonds
1 large or 2 small oranges
1 tbsp of rum, brandy or cointreau
4 large sheets of filo pastry
25g butter or margarine
1. Peel the apple and chop into small pieces or grate coarsely.
Make the strudel the day before, cover it with cling and store in the fridge. On Christmas Day, cook it in the oven (pre-heated to 200 C or Gas Mark 6) for about 20 – 25 minutes, until golden and crisp. Serve with custard, brandy sauce or ice cream.
2. Immediately mix it with the mincemeat, ensuring apple is well coated.
3. Zest the orange, then use a sharp knife to peel it, removing all the white pith. Carefully remove the segments from the skin and add them to the mincemeat along with the zest.
4. Mix in the cranberries, almonds and brandy or juice.
5. Melt the butter in a small pan and brush a medium sized baking sheet with it.
6. Carefully unwrap the filo pastry and lay a sheet on the tray.
7. Brush the filo with more melted butter and top with another sheet of filo. Repeat until the four sheets have been used.
8. Spoon the filling onto one of the short ends, taking care not to spread it too close to the edges.
9. Carefully roll up, tucking in the sides to keep in the filling. Make a couple of diagonal slits on the top with a sharp knife.
10. If your filo pastry is small and you have filling left over, simply make up two strudels.